^Back To Top
WHAT IS THE SKILLS 4 LIFE PROGRAM?
Skills-4-Life is a life skill-based HIV prevention intervention which aims at giving young people the information and life skills they need to make decisions about their future. One of the greatest threats to Zambia’s future is the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
The focus of Skills-4-Life is therefore to protect young people who are the window of hope in the fight against the pandemic from getting infected with HIV and other STIs.
Young people need to be able to think for themselves and take responsibility for their future. They need to be responsible for their own development. Young people need to be empowered with courage and confidence, and with the skills and a supportive environment
THE PURPOSE OF SKILLS 4 LIFE
1. To empower the target population with knowledge, skills, attitudes and values which will influence and enable them make intelligent and responsible decisions about their sexuality and other social relationships
2. To help them become productive and responsible citizens who will contribute effectively in the entire process of national development
3. To assist them develop into inspiring role models who influence their peers to adopt responsible sexual and other behaviours as well as positively impact their communities.
We are committed to helping the country, through teaching of life skills to young people, to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and its Vision 2030 of becoming a prosperous Middle Income country by the year 2030.
SKILLS 4 LIFE AIMS:
· Prevent young people from becoming infected with HIV and dying from AIDS
· Provide young people with facts about sexual health, pregnancy, STDs and HIV/AIDS
· Provide young people with the skills to delay sexual intercourse
· Improve the communication between boys and girls, between friends, between young people, their parents and their community
· Improve the decision making skills of young people
· Provide young people with the skills they require so that they can make informed decisions about their sexual health
· Provide young people with the information and skills required to face peer pressure around the use of alcohol and drugs
WHY SKILLS FOR LIFE A UNIQUE PROJECT
· It exclusively focuses on developing life skills in the context of the risks, challenges and problems encountered by young people
· It develops and strengthens problem solving skills and builds up young peoples’ self esteem.
· It is aimed at promoting positive behavior change and social skills empowerment.
· It is a participatory activity.
· It is based on extensive research and has been shown to be effective.
· It encourages avoidance and protection from HIV/AIDS, STI’s, drug and alcohol abuse, unwanted pregnancy and violence
· It gives information about values and provides young people with the skills to delay sexual intercourse and its attendant risks
· It provides young people with the skills they need to be able to say no to unsafe and/or unwanted sexual relationships.
· It gives information about how to avoid substance abuse (drugs and alcohol).
· It gives information about relationships and gender issues.
Skills-4-Life is committed to helping the country, through teaching of life skills to young people, to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and its Vision 2030 of becoming a prosperous Middle Income country by the year 2030.